Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The morning

As I was listening to the radio on the way to work, a song came on which struck a chord (thought not much more after I read its lyrics). Still, it reflected on a small part of my and Marcie's love affair that occurs to me almost every day.

She used to wake me gently if she woke first. "Honey," she would say. "Sugar Bear, it's time to get up."

But I was no Sugar Bear in the morning. In fact, sometimes I would simply startle awake, no matter how gentle the waking. Worse, if she moved the bed around, I apparently cussed (which I tried not to do around my sweetie much).

Still, after a splash to my face and some time to adjust to morning, I would wander in and hug her around the waist from behind as she put on her makeup.

"Hi, baby," she would say. "Are you in a better mood now?"

Her sweet and loving voice always made me smile. So this song, aside form why its singer is separated from the unknown voice he seeks, was suitably touching to me, despite being from the Barenaked Ladies:

Sound Of Your Voice

The moon is full but there is an incompleteness
The days are beautiful but I feel a bitter sweetness
If I had a wish, or even a choice
I'd wake up to the sound of your voice
How I miss waking up to the sound of your voice

I let you down and fell right off of your good list
I hope each day you'll find peace and forgiveness
The alarm clock rings, What a lonely noise
And I long for the sound of your voice
Oh, how I miss waking up to the sound of your voice

Take it from me: there's not much to see
In this void

The saying goes there will be other dances (don't give up)
This little song is about second chances
Just say the word and I will rejoice
And wake up to the sound of your voice
Oh, how I miss waking up to the sound
To the sound (sound)
To the sound (to the sound)
To the sound
Waking up to the sound of your voice

Take it from me: there's not much to see
In this void


Sometimes I really need to hear the sound of that voice. I luckily can listen to a few recordings I kept. I also sometimes hear her voice in my mind very clearly. I wish I could hear it in my ears, even if she were cross.

F.

0 comments: